Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chemo

I had a very strange day yesterday. I woke up feeling absolutely dreadful - just exhausted and unwell and deeply anxious, presumably about chemo and the day/s that would follow. There was some lovely communal cooking and eating with my family though which was good - seems just keeping as occupied as is possible is probably the only thing to be done on those days. I felt better by evening.

I woke up this morning (a chemo day) feeling much better. Its strange. I function best going to sleep about 11 30 or 12, waking up at 4something am, then at 6something, and then dozing waking every hour or so after that getting up usually before 9. The night before I'd had a valium and slept through the night and woke feeling terrible. I definitely work better on too little than too much sleep. I can always have naps if needed, but you cant undo sleep! Anyway, woke up feeling good, had breakfast out with my nana and aunt and mum (best eggs benny ever, cant remember the name of the place though!), went to hospital, had chemo, and was still feeling good! Well, heavy but not sick or anything. So far still feeling good but increasingly doped up. I think we're better equipped this round and know that its not an infection, and shouldn't last more than 24 hours.

I'm falling asleep as I write this. I feel so well otherwise though, I really hope that I dont wake up in the middle of the night like last time on these drugs feeling like death and unable to keep down my pills. It was really quite a nightmare, but hopefully my greatly improved general health (and the bag of platelets I got today) will make it easier. Speaking of the platelets, they have to do this thing where they toss them around a bit, they just have to keep them moving constantly, they actually have a little machine for it, which I filmed in action because I thought it was a bit funny. Might upload it actually.

I have so much gratitude for blood donors - cancer patients receive a very large portion of donated blood. I've certainly received my share. I'm so lucky to live where I do when I dont have to worry about getting it when I need it, where I dont have to worry about all sorts of things. There is a very effective and very strong anti nausea pill which is about $300 a pop - of course the gov pays for most of that for us, but you hear about people in america saving to be able to afford these pills and often not being able to get them and so just having horrible nausea. And of course there are much worse stories you hear from the US - families losing their houses, and then their parents losing their houses too just trying to afford treatments to keep this person alive.

I'm so out of it now, I've written (as usual) too many paragraphs about too little which probably make very little sense. So I might stop now.

Hope everyone is well, and thnakyou so much for the gifts from Adelaide and Perth, everyone is so lovely and generous.

2 comments:

  1. Friday greetings Katie,

    I see above and hear from Dad that you've had a better than expected day-after-chemo experience this time, and I really hope it continues. That's not to discount or downplay, per your honest and well-crafted narrative above, that this is still a really tough experience and the pain and side-effects are mega-challenging. We hope each episode of chemo might have for you fewer of these side effects that are parcelled up with the treatment benefits that come from them.

    Ahhhh, diurnal rhythms. Treatment must get them all end about. I have often wondered whether those blog entries of yours time-stamped to 3:41 AM and the like reflected the time of creation, or were borrowed from some clock at Google HQ in the States. Now we know. Ta :-)

    Platelet bag cam is a new and exciting addition to your blog, and one that quite frankly took me by surprise. Firstly it's quite a hypnotic motion and I've enjoyed watching it a few times now. It could even be used to teach the flat footed how to dance at clubs. I can honestly say that it's the first time I've seen a cinematic expose on platelets in a clinical setting from the bag's perspective. Will you be working up treatments of other blood products, or is this intended as a monographic piece? Film careers have started from less; perhaps a new direction for you?

    It was lovely to catch up with you and the Adelaide visitors on Tuesday night at your digs. Again, that rare treat for the traveller to leave the hotel for the normality of a home environment, even if brief. The hours zipped along heater-side in the lounge (noticed re-positioned couches and wondered if aligned for the recent Transit of Venus but forgot to ask). Great fun chatting through many and varied topics, spotted with your Dad's excerpts from Murray's guide to the dram and an occaisonal introduction of a sample vapour. I really enjoyed our chat about the new Apple laptops and your guidance on how to check the specs on mine. It's nice to dream of a new machine isn't it.

    I fear my visit two weeks ago has been responsible for something of a rich food fest. Firstly the lovely rich date and ginger slice work courtesy of Sandra and an old family recipe. And on top there was the impromptu chocolate-fest. Thanks again for a lovely evening.

    Must go, flight to Perth is waiting (thank goodness you're thinking). Stay well and go strong. We look forward to hearing you're home from hospital soon. We go with you in our daily thoughts and well wishes when we cannot be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all, that thing with the Platelet rolling around made me think of those mechanical bulls that people try to ride. It would have been enough to make me feel queasy even if I wasn't at the time! Glad to hear the last round wasn't as rough as previous rounds. Your household has been rather busy of late, which must be lovely for everyone. Here's to the treatment being successful and they are able to keep it to a level which is more tolerable for you. Love to everyone. S xx

    ReplyDelete