Friday, October 7, 2011

Busy week

Its been a bit of a crazy week. After I got home from hospital last week I was still feeling pretty terrible, and actually got quite sick on... saturday? I think? Anyway, I couldn't keep anything down and we had the community nurses out a lot, and after three days of not really eating or drinking the nurses decided I needed a review and sent us off to TCH emergency room.

Mum and i spent about 16 hours in emergency. Not waiting to get in mind you- I have a special letter for post chemo which means they let me through immediately. We got in at about midnight monday night and they hooked me up to some fluids and ran various tests etc and we tried to sleep. I was going to be discharged in the morning, but the doctors changed over, and the new doctor came in while I was being sick and said "come on, there is no way I can let you go like this. You're not any better, you need to be here." So, I changed my mind. As it turned out i was a bit neutropenic (my white blood cells were low and I had very little immune system) so they moved me to a separate room in emergency to keep the sick people away from me a bit.

Since I was neutropenic it took some time to get me a room, as I had to have my own room in acute care on oncology. So eventually (mid afternoon I think) they found me a room and sent me up. I think mum and I slept most of the afternoon (the emergency bed and chairs are not the most comfortable). Later mum went home, and I had some visiters which was absolutely delightful.

After I'd had plenty of fluids the next day they sent me home. So this was wednesday. It turned out I was low on hemoglobin, which helped explain why i was still so so tired and breathless, so I was scheduled for some blood tests over the weekend to see if it came up.

On thursday we saw my oncologist, who said that it was not at all likely it would come up on its own, and that I'd need a transfusion next week. However I couldn't see the point in waiting if I was going to hav it anyway- waiting would just mean more days of feeling terrible, so i asked and I was scheduled in for the next day (friday). That afternoon I had my first radiotherapy appointment, which was really easy, and a bit futuristic actually. Lots of lasers. Not for zapping me with, but for lining me up so they can be exact about where they get the radiation. It only takes 10 minutes once I'm in there.

So yesterday morn mum and I headed over to hospital again and sat for 5 hours while they gave me a couple of bags of blood. Gross. Luckily there was a volunteer there doing hand and foot massages which was lovely. After the transfusion it was straight over to radiation for my second radiotherapy appointment. This one would have been even quicker than the first, except for one very annoying and chatty nurse who took much longer than was necessary to explain the skin care stuff to me. She took about 10 minutes, when all she needed to do was say "here is the cream. Put on the cream twice daily during treatment. Goodbye". She was trying to be helpful I suppose but just came off irritating and pushy.

Today I am feeling much better. I have normal energy and am going out with mum at some point and plan to do some walking. I've spent most of the last few weeks in a wheelchair or bed and am looking forward to getting some exercise, however slight.

Hope everyone is well x

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you're on the mend. Take care my friend :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a week. It is always good to read that you are about to go shopping and that you are feeling better after a rough time. Good wishes are always coming your way from the west. Love to all. Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete